Smyth Road Principal Newsletter
- Parent Conferences/Student Early Release: Mark your calendars for parent conferences on Thursday, October 24th from 3:00 pm-6:00 p.m. and on Friday, October 25th from 12:00-3:00 p.m. The conferences on the 25th will start at 12:00 p.m.; this is an early release day. Students will be dismissed at 11:15 a.m. Please make note of this early release date and time.
- Progress Reports: Our first trimester progress reports will be sent home Thursday, October 17th. Teachers will be reviewing these progress reports with you during scheduled conferences.
- School Hours: As a reminder, instructional hours for students in elementary school are 8:45 a.m. to 2:50 p.m. Student arrival is at 8:30 a.m. We realize families need to go to work, but students should not arrive prior to 8:30 a.m. However, we do have a before school program that starts at 7:00 a.m. and goes until 8:30 a.m. It is called New Morning Program; if you want to sign up your child, they can be reached at 669-3591 or at http://www.newmorningschools.com/
- Notes from the Main Office:
- If you are picking up your child early from school for an appointment, or you need to make a change for dismissal, please send in a note or call the main office prior to 2:30 p.m. We are unable to make a dismissal change after 2:30 p.m. because we are already involved in the dismissal process.
- There is one main phone line coming into the school. (We do NOT have call waiting) If your call is not answered by a Smyth Rd staff member, please leave a message!!! We check voicemail.
- If you receive a call from Smyth Rd, and a message was left for you, please listen to the voice message first before calling us back so we can more efficiently direct your call to the right person.
- St. Paul’s Church graciously allows us to use their parking lot for arrival and dismissal. PLEASE do not abuse their kindness by parking on their grass!!! Please be respectful of their generosity.
- Spirit Wear: Smyth Rd clothing is now available to purchase! We have shirts, sweatshirts, hats, fleece and more! Go to: https://smythroad.itemorder.com/sale and you can place your order and pay for your order on line through our local vendor, Metro Sports. They will handle all orders, and they will deliver the Smyth Rd gear to school when it arrives! We all wear our spirit gear for monthly Road Runner Rallies and school spirit days throughout the year!
- Drills: We are required to conduct emergency drills throughout the year. Most of the drills are conducted by the local fire department. In a drill, students are taught to exit quietly through the closest door and listen for directions. Our school is also visited by our local police department for various programs geared towards different grade levels. Next week the Manchester Police Department will be coming on Tuesday for their annual “Cops and Kids” program. This program is provided annually for students in Kindergarten, Grade 2 and Grade 4. Students are able to see and learn about the different types of emergency vehicles used by our local police department. So, if you see fire trucks or police vehicles at the school, please don’t assume there is a problem. Instead, we are lucky to have our local fire and police departments involved in educating our students.
- Ice Cream: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Yes, finally a shipment of ice cream has arrived! We will start selling ice cream this Friday, October 4th and will continue every Friday. All ice cream choices cost $1.
- Student of the Month: We had our very first student of the month assembly last week! Each month we have a special assembly called a Road Runner Rally where we recognize students and staff for their accomplishments and we build community in a fun, spirited way. During this assembly we recognize “Students of the Month.” Each month a student from every classroom will be named Student of the Month. They earn this recognition because of their positive energy, great work ethic, and kind words and deeds. The students of the month for September received a special certificate, and they also will be featured on the bulletin board in the main hallway.
Congratulations to the following students:
Kindergarten-Grade 2: Grades 3-5:
Aleena Krestalicia-Kindergarten Brandon DeSouza-Gr 3 Christopher Mesa-Kindergarten Thalia Prodanis-Gr 3 Kieran Carrigan-Kindergarten Adeline Burnham-Gr 3 Prudence Stafford-Gr 1 Dianni Landaverde-Gr 4 Ethan St. Pierre-Gr 1 Rich Bourque-Gr 4 Nora Dugas-Gr 1 Parker Bowman-Gr 5 Gabriella Gaudet–Gr 2 Kyleigh Jaquez-Gr 5 A.J. Bergquist-Gr 2 Kristifer Morency: Mrs. Petriel’s class Kristel Gonzalez-Lopez : Gr 2 Karar Abbas: Mrs. Perry’s class Yanisia Osorio: P.E. Ryder Sanchez: Library Leah Holmes: Health Lajla Softic: Art Kamryn Perry: Music
October Dates and Events:
· Monday, October 14: No School: Columbus Day Holiday
· Thursday, October 17: Trimester 1 Progress Reports issued
· Thursday, October 24: Parent conferences 3-6 p.m.
· Friday, October 25: Parent Conferences 12:00-3:00 p.m./Student early release at 11:15 a.m.
· Friday, October 25: Fall Festival